TOWN OF SHERMAN BOARD MEETING
April 11, 2017
1.The meeting was called to order by Chair Gerald Luke at 6:04 PM. Chair Gerald Luke stated all officers were present, with exception of treasurer Jerry Murrin, who was on his way. Jerry Murrin arrived at 6:08PM. Chair Luke verified the agenda was placed in 4 locations and on the website. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
2. PUBLIC COMMENT & QUESTIONS –None
3. COMMUNICATIONS/ANNOUNCEMENTS & REPORTS
CLERK - Amy Slone reported the April 4, 2017 election went smoothly. There will be no other elections for the remainder of 2017. Anyone interested in becoming and election worker should contact the clerk. There were 2 building permits issued in April for additions.
TREASURER - Jerry Murrin presented the monthly financial report for the month of March.
CHAIRPERSON – Gerald Luke provided information on Chair's activities and correspondence.
SUPERVISOR LEPPER – Supervisor Lepper announced that both Dennis M. and Lon S. are retiring this week. New employee Bill is in his 6th week of training. Another new employee, Duwayne, has also begun training. Lon and Bob will both be available to take phone calls from new town highway employees. Bob will plan to end his responsibilities as road supervisors at the end of April. All employees have needed safety equipment. There are no equipment or town garage problems at this time. Supervisor Bob made recommendations regarding possible future training needs for new employees.
SUPERVISOR MIKULA - Supervisor Mikula stated there will be an Iron County recycling meeting on 4/19/17. The county board decided to have bids put out for disposal company.
FIRE DEPARTMENT – Fire Chief Ron King stated there was one wild wood fire on 182 and Mirror Lake Road. He met with 4 fire departments re: MAVIS system.
FIRST RESPONDERS – No report; not present.
IRON COUNTY SUPERVISOR –No report; not present.
PLANNING COMMISSION – Peter Hatch reported there was a meeting re: CUP for a tourist rooming house license. The town planning commission recommended approval. Jerry Luke mentioned there are 2 openings on the town plan commission; one is for re-appointment.
SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER–No report; not present.
ACOUSTIC REMEDY COMMITTEE – No report; not present.
4. Discussion occurred regarding outdoor lighting needs at town hall and further research needs regarding such. Supervisor Lepper made a motion to table this item to next month pending obtaining further information. Supervisor Mikula seconded. Motion passed.
5. Conditional Use Permit to operate tourist rooming house. The town plan commission recommended to approve CUP. Supervisor Mikula made a motion to recommend approval to Iron county with the maximum occupancy of 4 guests on property as per town plan commission recommendations. Supervisor Lepper seconded; motion passed.
6. Supervisor Lepper made a motion to take no action on this item. Supervisor Mikula seconded, motion passed.
7. Supervisor Mikula made a motion for Jerry Luke and Gary Kessler to attend the May 11, 2017 town officer training in Minocqua. Supervisor Lepper seconded, motion passed.
8. Appoint alternates to BOR, Nancy Osgood, Helen Van Prooyen, Robert Lepper. Supervisor Mikula made a motion to approve these 3 alternate members of BOR per this ordinance. Supervisor Lepper seconded, motion passed.
9. Janesville DNR station sent a resident to Chair Luke regarding obtaining an ATV permit to drive on Highway 182. Chair Luke researched this, contacted local DNR stations, and contacted WI Towns Association attorney. No regulation is authorized in the state of WI regarding ATV. Supervisor Mikula made a motion to deny request for reason of not having the authority. Supervisor Lepper seconded; motion passed.
10. Supervisor Mikula made a motion to approve minutes as presented. Supervisor Lepper seconded, motion passed.
Chair Luke read the vouchers list and town supervisors reviewed vouchers. Supervisor Mikula made a motion to approve the vouchers as presented. Supervisor Lepper seconded; motion passed.
PUBLIC COMMENT/FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS-
No public comment.
Kal P. provided some information regarding yard lighting when board members addressed him.
Future agenda items: Possible new town board organizational meeting on Tuesday morning 4/25/17, consider agenda item at that meeting for approving changing pay frequency of highway department employees to twice monthly. Consider holding first Board of Review meeting to adjourn to a later date as the assessment roll is not yet complete, on 5/9/17 just before regular monthly board meeting. June board meeting will need agenda item for approval of liquor license renewal and operators licenses.
Supervisor Mikula made a motion to adjourn. Supervisor Lepper seconded, motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 7:11 PM. Amy J. R. Slone, Clerk
Minutes approved 5/9/2017